Sunday, July 17, 2011

Something I Can't Get Past...

I can't get past this story.  But God can.  He is bigger than the pain and the scars leftover from such a violent act.  I am thankful that we have a God who cares, and knows.  And the end of the day, and at the end of this story, God is still God.  And that is enough.

Of course this story brings up the age old question of, why God?  Why did you allow this young precious girl be violated in such a way?  Because evil exists.  Everywhere, it's not just confined to Africa.  What I do know that in the middle of her pain God was there to meet her with the hug and touch through this missionary couple.  Grace and mercy were given.  In situations like this, when words fail, a touch of comfort is what is needed.  

Where is God in the middle of these type of situations?   I believe that God weeps too when his children are hurting.  I watched a the movie Tears of the Sun this past weekend.  It was on our "recommended" list of resources in preparation for this mission trip to Swaziland.  Here's your disclaimer.  I know that it is rated R.  I don't watch rated R movies...ever.  The violence is too much, I can't absorb it, and it doesn't entertain me.  This movie was very violent, and horrific.  The good guys win in the end, but there is a lot of blood shed.  I wouldn't recommend it at all unless you really like bloody fighting scenes riddled with profanity.  I now have those hurtful images in my mind of such horrible acts of violence.  I can't get past those either. 

Why does God allow bad things to happen, even to the innocent?  I don't know.  But I know that God loves and I know that my response to those who commit acts of violence is one that should be of love.  Without conditions, without judgments just like what Christ has offered to me.  That kind of love is something I can't get past either.  I hope I never do.    

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More